14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2017 8:55 AM by 625879

Custom database copy ?

New User

Hi, in previous versions of the Toolbox there was a utility "DatabaseCopy.exe" which allowed users to incorporate their own customised database into the Toolbox. I realise that new datasets can be imported one at a time into the Toolbox but for those of us that have already augmented our Toolbox with new datasets, is there a way of merging the old database from V3.4 into the new V4?

Regards,

Nick

• Re: Custom database copy ?
          New User

Hi,

Apologies, I've just noticed that this question has already been answered on the HelpDesk. However the comment "the better/recommended way is to update your source files and re-import them using the currently available Toolbox import facilities", is unhelpful. Why is it "better" or "recommended"? It would take an enormous amount of work to re-import all the datasets I've added over the years and they are not in need of "updating". I guess I'll have to revert to using V3.4 until V4.1 is available.

Nick

1006501 New User

Dear Nick,

I would like to inform you that the tool for migrating custom Toolbox databases from previous versions into QSAR Toolbox 4.1 is already available.
              You can find it at the link below:

http://toolbox.oasis-lmc.org/?section=download

Kind regards,
              Darina

New User

Hi, Thanks for that. Unfortunately having downloaded and installed V4.1, the Database Copy utility will not run. On double clicking the exe file as in the instructions, the process starts for a few seconds (as seen in Task Manager window), then closes down !

1006501 New User

Dear Nick,

Please find below the answer from my colleague Yordan Karakolev, who is in charge with the database copy tool:

Possible issue:  Application can`t connect to Toolbox  4.1 database it is done automaticaly on start with Default settings :

host: localhost

port: 5432

database: toolboxv18

user: qsartoolbox

password: qsartoolbox1

If something is different on their installation application configuration file must be edited : "Toolbox.DatabaseCopy4.exe.config" with current installation settings.

Hope this is of help.

Kind regards,

Darina

New User

Hi,

I did not change any of the default settings when installing the Database. However, it does ask for a superuser password, which has no default value, and is chosen by the user. Is this the password you are referring to? How do I find out what my database settings are?

Regards,

Nick

New User

The password is indeed the problem. I had an earlier version of PostgreSQL installed with a superuser password which was not the default (postgres). When I installed the Toolbox on another computer with no other PostgreSQL instance, the database copy tool worked fine.

New User

OK so now going back to original PC, uninstalling all elements of TB4.1 (PosgreSQL, Toolbox Database, and Toolbox). Re-installed PostgreSQL, using default settings. On attempting to re-install the Toolbox Database I get the message below:

sqlerror.JPG

Uninstalled PostgreSQL and tried re-installing again but this time towards the end of the installation got this:

SQLerr.JPG

New User

Hi Nick,

This isn't going to help, but it seems a lot of people are having installation issues, not just those posting on this site either, or dependent on own working/small/large company IT groups. My v.4 was installed 4 times by IT to get it to work properly and it still crashes.

I've actually gone back to using V.3.4. because it's mush faster, easier to use (it may be that I'm just used to it), there's hardly any noticeable lag as observed in V4. when scrolling up and down the profiling etc. I actually think the new updates have just over complicated it all.

As I said, not much consolation for you though I'm afraid.

Geoff...

New User

Hi Geoff,

Actually yes it is helpful to know that others are having problems, so thanks for your comment. I had already come to the same conclusion as you, that 3.4 is a superior and more stable installation and I shall certainly continue using it.

Regards,

Nick

New User

Hi Nick,

I should also mention that my laptop is a Windows 64 bit machine with 16 Gb of memory, so the issues are not speed or memory related.

I quite often find the the Toolbox is using between 5-9 GB of memory dependent on the initial categorization.

So for those running the Toolbox on a 32 bit machine with only 3.8 Gb of available memory, it must be extremely slow.

My colleagues are upgrading their laptops accordingly.

Best regards,

Geoff...

625879 New User

Dear Toolbox users,

I am really sorry to here about your problems.

Migration into new a new IT platform of such complex tool as Toolbox was not an easy task, development team faced many unexpected problems and had to address many issues under time pressure. As consequence not all functionality are still available in v4.1 and not everything works as it should. Not being an IT gig I managed to install Toolbox v4.0 and 4.1 on more than 20 different machines. Only one complication which I had was forgotten PostgreSQL password during the update from v4.0 to 4.1... I agree that additional DB password might be an issue but that is quite normal practice for 3-tier architecture software.

Anyway I agree that now still most stable platform is v3.4 which was an outcome of 6 years of progressive development, improvements and bug fixing. Comparing to that v4.x is still very 'young' product with all its consequences. So if you are advance user (as many on this forum) and you dont need automated workflows, advanced API, remote DB or true separation between client and server you can stay on v3.4 until beginning of the next year when release of 4.2 is planned. Hopefully with 4.2 most of the problems will be solved (unfortunately forgotten PostgreSQL password cannot be addressed).

I wish you all successful work with the Toolbox regardless of the version .

Cheers

Tomasz

New User

Tomasz,

Thanks for this frank response. My only question is why migrate to a new platform;if it aint broke don't fix it. WRT the issue of PostgreSQL passwords, it seems that it may be an issue if a user already has an instance of PostgreSQL installed for a different application. This seems to be an issue for me, but now having uninstalled PostgreSQL and the Toolbox plus its database server I cannot even get PostgreSQL re-installed so if V4.2 still uses it I may never get beyond V3.4!

625879 New User

Hi Nick,

Normally if you have already existing PostgreSQL DB engine, you should be able to deploy TB DB schema using it, PostgreSQL is fine with handling multiple schemas (users) at the same instances and I did it as well (IUCLID 5 and Toolbox on same PostgreSQL). What might be problematic is when you have significant difference in versions of PostgreSQL (old DB version is running) and you try deploy TB schema which use the functions of the newer version. If you cannot upgrade your existing DB, than you can install separate instance of the PostgreSQL listening on different port (not default 5432) this should fix the problem as well. As an outcome you will have two separate PostgreSQL instances listening on two different ports- no problem.

Finally it seem that there was some bug in Toolbox uninstaller which was removing some pre-TB installation keys from the registry- maybe it was also affecting existing instance of PostgreSQL. This bug will be fixed within one week and path will be released, but I dont know if it will help to fix your current mess.

If you will still struggle with TB installation you can always ask TB helpdesk for further assistance.

I hope that you will solve your issues and join the group of TB 4.x happy users.

Cheers

Tomasz

862758 New User

Dear Nick Price,

I am sorry to hear that you are still facing difficulties deploying QSAR Toolbox 4.1. As developers of the system, we want to inform you that we are aware of the issues that you have mentioned and are already working on resolving them.

Having multiple instances of PostgreSQL is obviously confusing the database deployment script. This will be addressed in the next version of the system in the way that the script will inform the user about that. We will also provide a tool that will allow current users to test if they are running the Toolbox with the correct PostgreSQL engine.

As for the current problem with the installation of PostgreSQL (Failed to load SQL modules into the database cluster) - unfortunately this is out of the scope of the Toolbox installation. I would suggest that you follow some of the suggested solutions here.

Kind regards,

Stanislav