3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2011 1:06 PM by
      • What do you think is the most glaring deficiency of University rankings to date?

I agree with Ben that rankings don't take into account what students have actually learned and how they adapt into the workforce with their super degrees.  How will OECD be measuring this, will they be taking random national samples of students or testing individual institutions?  If the latter were published would there not be the risk of another ranking?

• Re: What do you think is the most glaring deficiency of University rankings to date?

The AHELO feasibility study currently underway is investigating exactly how this can be done. Our website www.oecd.org/edu/ahelo has details as they become available. The approach is based on a sample of institutions in each country, not a random national sample of students.

If the feasibility study produces useful results then a decision on whether to go ahead with a full study will need to be taken. The results of that could be used to improve existing rankings or may stimulate new ones. But what matters is that the underlying information is reliable and relevant and that fair comparisons are made.

• What do you think is the most glaring deficiency of University rankings to date?

New to, and curious about this topic, I wonder if OECD could tell me if universities are currently evaluated or compared based on the secured success of students following graduation. Are we, for example, measuring what universites in what countries are producing the most effective/successful/creative entrepreneurs (we know that some of the greats did not complete university), the most presidents/state leaders, the most successful doctors, lawyers and artists, the most innovative leaders, etc.? Certainly application of what is learned is as important as the learning itself? If this is not being measured, then for me, this would be the most glaring deficiency of university rankings.