1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2011 2:52 PM by 643845

How do I get rankings by US State?

New User

From reading the publications, the data appears to be available since comparisons are made between US states and countries in Europe, but the interactive search doesn't let me go below US States.  I'm primarily interested in Connecticut.

Thanks for any help!

• Re: How do I get rankings by US State?
          565478 Novice

We can provide state-level PISA results for most countries, but not for the United States because of insufficient sample sizes. However, it is possible to group states into four broad categories comparing performance of public schools in the United States (see the OECD report “Strong Performers and Successful Reformers in Education: Lessons from PISA for the United States”, page 26, available at: http://www.oecd.org/document/13/0,3746,en_2649_35845621_46538637_1_1_1_1,00.html). 

Eric Hanushek and his colleagues used an approximation to align PISA scores with NAEP scores. This allows them to use the PISA scale to calculate percentages of high-achieving students in mathematics across US states and compare that with similar numbers for other countries. The report can be found here: www.hks.harvard.edu/pepg/.

Hope this helps!